Sunday, March 01, 2009

Baby Day

Why is it that when you are pregnant - and huge - people think they can say whatever they want to you? I don't often approach obese people and comment to them how enormous they are. Or touch their bulges.

Here are a few great comments I have gotten the last few weeks. (mostly all from one amazing conversation)

- The classic "are you having twins?"

- And on multiple occasions "you are HUGE" with their eyes bulging out.

- And finally, a Cuban Woman in her 70's who attends our ward asked when I was due. I tried to be funny by telling her I wasn't pregnant - I just eat a lot of ice cream. She followed up with "really? so do you think the baby will be large?"

- Same Cuban, same conversation a few minutes later noted that she would like to be able to take a picture of me naked. "You know, like this" she motioned with her arms that I would be able to cover up some areas. And then she tried to back up a little by saying "well, i used to be a nurse. And I'm very into art. " Apparently my figure needs to be preserved in photos for science and the arts.

But...don't worry about me, my feelings weren't hurt whatsoever. There's something about being old and Cuban (or old in general - but especially old with accent) everything she says sounds so funny.

P.S. My Dr scheduled an induction for me the morning of March 27th! It feels so good to know when this bub is coming.

6 comments:

Cati said...

Hey at least you didn't get a picture of you on a two piece(the kind you take as a before picture during an exercise program) plastered on the big screen at the ward party... great party by the way!! but hey what are you going to do... you are cute with a even cutter bump!!! I will try to not touch it next time..

Jenn said...

You're pregnant?!

brittani c. said...

A naked pregnant picture? How flattering that she wants you as her muse. It must be a Cuban thing. It shocks me how many people out there make such rude and revealing comments to pregnant women.
Congrats on March 27th! (the day after my b-day) The end is near!

Dede said...

Seriously Christy. I know EXACTLY how you feel. There was a few weeks that someone said something about how "huge" I was everyday. And, they used the word huge...why is that ok? Probably because it is NOT ok.
Well, I saw you this weekend and you look great!!! And, so not huge!!

P.S. My own grandma asked me if I was sure I wasn't having twins. Classic.

pharen said...

So glad you're almost done! How are you guys doing? If you need some good name suggestions, I may have a few. Hopefully I'm only having one or two more children, and hopefully they're girls, so I won't have to use these names! We loved the name Graham, and were plannig on naming Simon that, but changed our minds at the last minute. I also love Elliot, Callum, Cyrus (Cy), Denver, Eddie, Tagg, Sway, Peter, Henry, and I can't think of any more right now. Tell me what you think!
Avery

Emily Frandsen said...

lol! that is really funny. and march 27 is so soon!!!! that's so exciting! i used to get those comments all the time on my mission. and i wasn't pregnant . . . yikes. polynesians are VERY honest people.